Thinking of getting a plant somewhere? One that you can grow legally and still benefit from it? How about such chili peppers. You can also know them as dried cayenne pepper . It is the most exotic plant grown in Mexico, Japan, China, Vietnam, Africa and South and Central America. They are characterized by a hot and sharp flavor that capsaicin can provide. It is proven that this substance has the ability to release endorphins, promotes blood circulation, improves metabolism, promotes digestion.
It is also used in hospitals, where it is administered to the skin before surgery to eliminate post-operative pain. It is also used in the treatment of thrombosis or varicose veins. Chili peppers are rich in vitamin B and C. They are also among the best-known aphrodisiacs for their positive effect on libido.
Growing chilli is easy, so we can grow it at home behind a window in a pot or on a balcony. Size is lower space-saving shrubs and what isa really big plus, so we can grow them for 70 days! As a true lover of hot and sharp meals, you can boast a variedly colored shrub with diversely shaped fruits.
So if you are determined to grow chili yourself, lets get closer to what it takes. First you need to get suitable seeds. There is a plethora of species, with more than 4,000 reported.Among the hottest species could be Naga Jolokia, Dorset Naga, Chilli "HP22B", Infinity Chilli Pepper or even Naga Viper Pepper. Our eshop offers a wide range of seeds, where you will certainly choose the right one.
And when to start betting? If we want to grow at home with the possibility of using artificial lighting, we can practically start at any time. However, if we are considering moving out, the local climate must be taken into accountconditions. So it is appropriate to start sometime in February and in about July we can look forward to a wonderful harvest. Before planting, it is advisable to check the seeds to increase the chance of growing only healthy seedlings. If appearsbroken, cracked or those that have dark spots staining the disease will disable them.
So we chose the seeds and the next step will be germination. However, it must be borne in mind that the pThe more vivid variety we have, the longer the germination time will be. Necessary pgerminating them heat, moisture and enough oxygen .
The germination test is the method of controlling the viability of the seeds . Before we start this test, it is a good idea to find out what requirements to germinate and what time it takes for the chili we chose. It is necessary to have enough patience, because some species also germinate 6weeks! FROM thus, by spreading a few seeds onto a damp tissue (napkin). For more accurate test it is better to use more seeds. After spreading on the handkerchief, cover the seeds with another sheet of damp handkerchief and place it straightad into a plastic bag for keeping moisture.
Keep warm and after 5-10 days check out the seeds. We plant them in the soil and return the rest to the heat. We calculate the germination rate as the percentage of seeds that germinated in all the seeds tested. If there is no more growth in the next few weeks, we can conclude that all the seeds that were viable germinated during testing.
How to improve germination
There are several techniques that help to germinate more successfully. The most widely used are chemical soaking and physical scarification. PhysOral scarification is a method in which the tegument is weakened, damaged or removed before germination. It is performed most often by sharp. Dipping or chemical scarification involves softening the outer shell of the seed using tap water, mild tea, pigeon droppings, as well as gibberellic acid (GA3).
What is the success of this method? It is the tannins contained in the tea that soften the seed cover. We do not have to buy any special tea, all kinds of teas will provide this service. Experienced growers advise that especially chamomile is very good. Especially because of its anti-fungal effects (it reduces the possibility of decay).
- 1) Boil the water and pour over the tea bag (so we get a strong tea, but our goal is to get a weak decoction.
- 2) Take the saucer on which we put the paper napkin, then the seeds and cover with a napkin. Pour the tea so that the paper soaks the water.
- 3) Place in a warm place overnight
Water is widely used during the germination process. But we must keep in mind that growth promotes dampness and in no way wet. Such an environment causes the dying and molding of seeds. Germination temperature is also an important factor. Ideally, it should be between 24 ° C and 32 ° C. Light is not so decisive in germination. After germination, there is a lot of planting in the soil.
In order to grow really strong and healthy plants, it is important to what soil we plant. Chili peppers thrive in soil where the pH level is around 6. Soil should be well drained and aerated. Therefore, we add pearlite or vermiculite , which ensures ventilation. Nowadays, we just need to go to the store and buy a substrate designed for peppers or tomatoes and thus supply plants with everything they need. When buying a fertilizer, be interested in what it supports, whether it grows, blossoms or the fruit. The important elements that peppers require are: carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, sulfur, manganese, magnesium, iron, copper, zinc, boron, chlorine, molybdenum .
What to watch out for
- 1) Be careful not to put the seeds too deep into the soil. It could happen that a nutrient-containing seed for a limited period of time that is destined for growth depletes energy and dies before it reaches the surface. We plant 2-3 millimeters!
- 2) Choose only places well lit with the longest sunlight possible. Plenty of light is important for smooth maturation, affects the overall vitality and resistance of plants.
- 3) Since chilli is a subtropical and tropical plant, we should give it enough heat. Longer low temperaturesdepletion and result in slow growth. The ideal temperature is 35 ° C.
- 4) Temperatures reaching more than 50 ° C (can be achieved in a non-ventilated greenhouse) cause plants to experience complications in the form of metabolic arrest in leaves.
- 5) Water only with standing water and lukewarm water (cold water will cause thermal shock to the plant)
- 6) We don't! Chilli doesn't like permanent waterlogging. During the growing season, we strive to keep the soil slightly moist and even more watering when watering.
- 7) Diseases and pests may also occur, most commonly aphids, powdery mildew, slugs outside. Therefore, we do not hesitate to intervene against them in time.
When the peppers ripen you, the limits of imagination how to use them do not apply. Lovers certainly know how to evaluate them and those who don't, we have a tip for two good chili sauces for you.
Tabasco Sauce - Creamy peppers are mixed, wine vinegar is added with salt to form a thin liquid. PAdd lime juice to the flavor. Varieties suitable for this sauce are naga jolokia, habanero, tabasco, ... etc.
Spiracha sauce -Mix the peppers together with the tomatoes to remove the watery core and mix with ketchup. Aftertaste with garlic and lime juice.
Although it may not seem at first glance, growing is really simple. Therefore, if you are interested, do not hesitate and try it. You can choose seeds according to your taste.