- Therapeutic cannabis helps to sleep and sleep faster, studies confirm
- Improving the quality of sleep
- Better breathing during sleep, help with sleep apnea syndrome
Many people turn to medical cannabis just because of their everyday struggle to sleep. If you roll in bed every night, count sheep and make compromises like "If I fall asleep in the morning, sleep at least five hours", and before you start to dawn behind the window, then this article is for you.
Insomnia or insomnia is usuffering in itself, and it is no wonder that people suffering from it seek some relief and help. In the worst case, they find it, for example, in all sorts of sleeping pills, the better in cannabis, which is increasingly popular for its sedative effects.
"Impatience adrowsiness, the classic consequences of an unsuccessful night, may be followed by prolonged effects such as cardiovascular disorders, diabetes or obesity in case of chronic insomnia. "
In terms of insomnia, two basic types are divided - acute and chronic. Acute insomnia meets most of us in some part of life and can last for example for two nights, often with a stressful event. Chronic insomnia, which today suffers more than miliArda people all over the world, however, is a completely different coffee. A person is diagnosed with chronic insomnia if he or she experiences three or more unsuccessful nights in one week, throughout the month.
Interestingly,that women suffer from insomnia twice as much as men. In addition, insomnia usually deteriorates with advancing age - it is estimated that half of seniors suffer from this condition. Dizziness and drowsiness, the classic consequences of unsuccessful nights, may be followed by longer-term effects such as cardiovascular disorders, diabetes or obesity in case of chronic insomnia.
So lets look at the most common examplecauses of insomnia and compare traditional treatments with alternative cannabis treatment.
Causes of insomnia
Insomnia sufferers are divided into two basic groups by cause: Primary and Secondary.
Primary Insomnia: a separate condition that was not caused by another health disorder
Secondary insomnia: insomnia caused by a secondary medical disorder or external agent depression, pain,alcohol, prescription drugs).
However, the most common cause of insomnia is stress. Whatever we are trying to do, we simply cannot avoid stressful situations in our lives, but they can be herehow to manage stress successfully. For example, Dr. Rachna Patel, who has been struggling for years with insomnia, emphasizes:
"First and foremost, try to reduce stress in everyday life. Inevitably, by reducing stress, you will improve the quality of your sleep. Trying something really beneficial - go for a run or swim , eat healthier, exercise relaxation techniques like yoga or meditation. If you really need cannabis as a remedy for insomnia, positive lifestyle changes will only help you. "
"Taking synthetic drugs against insomnia carries a variety of side effects, not to mention the possibility of addiction or the risk of overdose."
Traditional treatment of insomnia
As a first aid, Dr. Patel always suggests a change in lifestyle. However, some patients suffer from insomnia so much that they just need to prescribe drugs. However, classic sleeping pills are not as effective as they may seem at first glance.
One of the studies of the National Institute of Health (National Institutes of Health) found that sleeping pills will increase the average sleep time by just 11 minutes on average. When it comes to falling asleep, the average acceleration is about 13 minutes. Taking synthetic drugs against insomnia carries rvarious side effects, not to mention the possibility of addiction or threat of overdose.
Hemp for healthy sleep
After being prescribed Ambien (a very popular sleeping powder in the United States), Dr. Patel decided to seek help in healing cannabis because of concerns about potential side effects. While searching for information, she found what more experienced cannabis users have known for a long time - many studies show that cannabis helps sleep quality.
- Faster asleep: Surprisingly, a study on cannabis as a potential hypnotic was conducted in 1973. The results were clear - those who received cannabis fell asleep faster. A more recent 2013 study just confirmed these results. (resources)
- Longer and better sleep: One of the results of a 1973 study was also the observation that subjects under the influence of cannabis experienced less frequent awakening during the night, especially in the first half.
- Deep sleep: The most important part of the sleep cycle is, according to the scientists, the phase of deep sleep that cannabis can prolong, which will only help the quality of rest, as well as mental and physical regeneration.
- Better breath: Sleep apnea syndrome, which affects approximately 17% of men and 9% of women, causes difficulty in breathing during sleep. Most of the disabled are never diagnosed with this condition in their lives. The early research of Frontiers in Psychology highlights the potential of cannabis to help improve this condition. Who knows? People with this syndrome may soon change their breathing masks for cannabis cakes.
The study of cannabidiol, abbreviated as CBD, a non-psychoactive substance in cannabis that has a broad therapeutic potential (for example, in our article "Epilepsy"), is quite contradictory in sleep. In one of the studies, CBD was a "wakefulness agent" for patients, while in another study where CBD was administered in tincture a few hours in advance, the feeling of relaxation and quieter sleep was the result.
The contradiction of studies is likelyvariety of cannabis varieties, the route of administration and the size of the dose. Because everyone reacts differently to hemp, it is necessary to find a suitable variety individually. Very popular varieties for relaxation and sleep are for example Northern Lights,Skywalker,OG Kushor Big Bud- All these varieties are available at our e-shop.
And what about you, our readers? Do you use medical cannabis at bedtime? Share your comments and experiences with us in the comments!